[mythtv-users] Double logging?

Angela angela.schmid at wolke7.net
Tue Nov 20 19:24:47 UTC 2012

 On 11/20/2012 01:45 AM, DaveD wrote:
> > I'm running Fedora 17, MythTV version v0.25.2-15-g46cab93.  I don't
> > know how to figure out what build options were used to build the
> > package.  I did
> >
> > #> mythbackend --help
> >
> > and it says (amongst other things)
> >
> > --syslog        Set the syslog logging facility.
> >                Set to "none" to disable, defaults to none.
> >

> > So, why is it not defaulting to "none"?
>
> Don't know. In your startup script (that HP-mini referred to in another
post)
> you could add --syslog none. The ps you ran, and had --logpath in it
explains
> why you see logs under /var/log/mythtv/program.timestamp.pid.log. It
> doesn't explain the syslog messages unless your distribution truncated the
> output of the ps command I suggested. You could try: ps f -eo
user,args|grep
> myth|grep -v grep to see if there's more.
>
> The default to none was added in commit e4243c6 in July 2011. You're
> running on a commit that was released in July of 2012, so you shouldn't
have
> to do that.
>
> --
> Bill

Something to be careful about, everything what goes to file goes also to the
database, with default logging settings.
Cranking up the debuglevels blows your database up.

Set my debuglevel to "all" for 30 minutes, ended up with  a 7 GB MySQL DB.
Which can only be shrinked by dump/delete MySQL file/restore.

Worse was, that Mythtv does housekeeping jobs, cleaning the log table;
deleting millions of rows brings your system almost to a halt, stuttering
playback.
Had to truncate the logging table.

Use " --nodblog" when you don't intend to log to the DB.
I am on 0.27, it's fine for Job start/finish info's, for other stuff I can't
think it is valuable to log into a DB, therefor I can't understand setting
logging into the DB is enabled by default.

Angela