[mythtv-users] Auto-started Mythbackend = Remote Mythfrontend connection failure

Darethehair darethehair at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 22:42:50 UTC 2012

This one is extremely subtle, and all my sleuthing skills have not
helped me so far

Running 0.25 on a fresh LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) server. Local
Backend/frontend work fine, and remote frontend also now works fine.
Noticed that install has set up automatic start for mysql/mythtv-backend
(verified by 'chkconfig') and scripts in '/etc/init.d'.

However, upon rebooting, noticed that the remote frontend was no longer
able to connect to the backend, with non-helpful messages:

Code:

I  MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend server: 192.168.1.101:6543 (try 1 of 1)
E  Connection to master server timed out.
			Either the server is down or the master server settings
			in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP address

Oddly, a remote 'mysql' connect still works, right owner is running the
processes, correct ports are open (verified by 'nmap'), so what is the
problem?

If I then *manually* restart mythbackend via the command line:

sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart

...then the remove frontend starts working again!

I have done a lot of Googling, but the problems I see only have to do
with *failures* of an auto-started backend -- in my case, the backend
starts up (mostly) fine.

Why would an auto-started backend not work with a remote frontend, but a
manually-started one does? If this some subtle timing issue?

Help would be appreciated!