[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Samsung Allshare?

john newsgrp1 at bestpond.com
Tue Nov 13 23:10:55 UTC 2012

On 14/11/12 00:29, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> Has anyone got mythtv to work with Samsung Allshare, the built in DLNA
> client on Samsung TV's? My TV see's the mythtv server but then bombs
> after I select it.

I recently bought a Samsung 32" TV (Model UA32ES5500MYXY Series 5) for
the bedroom I have it wall mounted and it is connected to my lan via
ethernet ( I wasn't prepared to fiddle with another wireless point). I
eventually got the network running. It got as far as seeing the mythtv
backend which runs upnp, and tries to connect, then bombs...as you say.

I tried setting up minidlna which is recommended by a lot of people, and
managed to connect OK.  But no myth menus or nice program names! I
simply had a list of files, so if I proceeded it was pot luck what was
going to be seen, especially as I have several hundred recordings across
two backends and the main frontend in the lounge room.

I set about attempting to get the program names showing, and used the
mythlink script. I just used a suggested set of options I found on this
list (I think) which put the series title first and then ordered the
episodes. That seemed to work at first, but then while I had a list of
all the titles as I went to select the episode, in the majority of cases
it listed the file name date & time only, with the occasional one having
an episode title.

Next discovery was as I scrolled (or tapped down the list) I found that
after the titles with "Z" I still had showing a huge list of the files
names again. Probably from the earlier attempt. So I have to sort out
how to get rid of those files appearing. I have since discovered that
the fast forward, and rewind buttons on my Samsung remote will do page
up & page down through the title listing, so I don't have to click down
line by line.

I had also read of serviio, which seemed a bit more complex than
minidlna, so am still considering if it is worth a try.

To get the TV working  to stream MythTV with AllShare, it seems that you
need to use a separate dlna server, and then the mythlink script, I am
yet to discover the magic of getting that right to display Series Title,
then episode title, also I couldn't seem to get any program information
either.

I do not have the dlna server working as well as I would like, and
perhaps I should try serviio instead of minidlna.

Unfortunately, from what I have seen there may also be a bit of
variation with AllShare depending on the TV model or series.

I am fully aware that to get this working "perfectly" i just need to add
a frontend, but in my case that is not presently possible. So it would
be helpfull to hear from others who have got the upnp/dlna solution
working well with a separate dlna server and perhaps some additional
ideas on using mythlink or other scripts to give a reasonable menu type
display of recording/music/video choices.

Regards,
John

John,
Canberra,