[mythtv-users] TV Tuner for mom's computer

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Nov 9 11:30:24 UTC 2012

On 08/11/12 20:38, Marc Paré wrote:
> My mother is moving to a retirement home and I am driving up to help out
> re-connecting all tech stuff. She recently got a notice that her Cable service
> will go all HD by end of November, so her analog PCI TV card will stop working.
> She is 78 yrs old, likes to watch TV and play solitaire at the same time on her
> 24in LCD monitor. Location: Sudbury Ontario.
>
> What card would you suggest for her system? I can't remember her mobo maker, but
> what I do know is that
>
> * there are 2 PCI slots NO PCIe SLOTS
> * RAM is 2 gig
> * hardrive is 250gigs
> * she has an NVidia video card -- can't remember the model, but nothing fancy
>
> I was looking at this card:
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=44_563&item_id=Q78244
>
> It looks like PCI cards are definitely getting harder to find! Are there
> external USB cards that would work? She will be hooking up through a cable
> set-top box.

Again!

"...her Cable service will go all HD by end of November..."

Did you mean that? I think you might have meant:

"...her Cable service will go all *digital* by end of November..."

which is not the same thing at all. Digital != HD.

If you really meant that she will go all *HD* then her 250Gb hard disk is about
to become hopelessly inadequate.

Otherwise, and in Canada, an HDHomeRun likely won't cut it with cable. You'll
have to look at an HD-PVR or equivalent to trap the output using the analog hole.

--

Mike Perkins