[mythtv-users] Silly Idea for a Parttime frontend: HP Microserver?

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Thu Nov 8 12:30:58 UTC 2012

On 8 November 2012 22:21, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/11/8 Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>:
> > Anthony Giggins wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone running one of these as a frontend, possibly with an Nvidia card
> >> run VDPAU?
> >>
> >> claims to have a 16x PCI-E slot...
> >>

> >> <
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237917-4237917-4248009-5153477.html?dnr=1
> >
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237917-4237917-4248009-5153477.html?dnr=1
> >

> > I don't think I'd call it a silly idea, though perhaps a bit overkill.
> > Fairly small box, very quiet (it has a big 6" (?) fan in the back), and
> low
> > power (my backend takes about 40-50W with two HVR1300 tuners and two HDs
> in
> > it).
> >
> > It doesn't come with an optical drive installed, or the cables (SATA
> data,
> > and Molex to SATA power adapter) for one. And you'll want to tape over
> the
> > light behind the big bright blue HP logo on the front.
> >
> > Best thing about them is that they seem to be on perpetual cashback
> offers
> > from HP - and after allowing for that, there's quite a bit of machine for
> > your money.
> >
> > --
> > Simon Hobson
> >
> > Visit http://www.magpiesnestpublishing.co.uk/ for books by acclaimed
> > author Gladys Hobson. Novels - poetry - short stories - ideal as
> > Christmas stocking fillers. Some available as e-books.
>
> I have one of this HP microserver, but I am using it for backend. I
> recommend you a Nvidia ION based board for the frontend.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

the main reason I thought of this was I really need a more capable FE in
the other room and I was looking at this to run as a webserver anyway so I
was thinking duel purposing this to run a VM and a FE (partime) currently
(Old IBM laptop) doesn't get alot of use as it currently doesn't support HD
content or video containers with processing overheard (aka mkv)

Thanks for the advice.

Anthony