[mythtv-users] MythTV does not handle daylight savings properly

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Nov 7 10:43:19 UTC 2012

On 06/11/12 23:29, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 05:12 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>> People generally think of time, as it is in there current time zone.  Given
>>> that most Myth Installations are not portable, there is no reason a User
>>> should be confronted by UTC Times at any time.
>> For the non-power rule user, they do not.  As Mike Dean said, power
>> rule users need to know much more, and timezone conversions are
>> now part of that required knowledge, and like a lot of other things, will
>> probably become automatic, and something you do not think about,
>> after a short period of time of using the convert functions.
>>
>> Personally, I just run all the devices I can on UTC (including my
>> watch, mobile phone, clocks on wall, in the vehicle).  It takes but
>> a moment to do the math in my head to subtract the 7/8 hours
>> needed to respond to someone who actually insists on local time.
>>

> Not only have I been saying that we need to get rid of DST across the US, I
> would also love to get rid of time zones and have the entire world use UTC in
> their daily lives.  I'd have no problem whatsoever having breakfast at noon and
> lunch at 5pm and dinner at midnight, nor putting in a grueling day of work from
> 2pm to 10pm.  Unfortunately, it seems I have to convince most everyone else in
> the world.  The only reason people think that noon is lunchtime is because
> that's what they're used to--but if they grew up having lunch at 5pm...

If you had said, '12:00' for lunch then I might agree with you. 'Noon', however,
is an astronomical expression describing the moment when the sun is at its
highest in the sky each day. You also say 2pm, 5pm and 10pm which all
essentially reference noon. The better idea would be to move to a 24-hour clock
system.

--

Mike Perkins