[mythtv-users] mythfrontend on .xinitrc

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 02:53:58 UTC 2012

On 11/6/12 7:26 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 04:11 PM, Ken Mink wrote:
>>>
>>> You should always use a window manager. You need something to handle
>>> the Z-axis of multiple windows, even if you're only running
>>> mythfrontend.
>>>

>> I run my FEs as STBs. They don't have mice or keyboards and they don't
>> run other apps. There are no multiple windows to have to worry about a
>> Z-axis. A lot of embedded systems run a x-window apps full screen
>> without a window manager. Window managers are not always necessary.
>>
>> Another solution would be to run the FE from .xinitrc on one virtual
>> console. It you need a window manager for other apps, switch to
>> another virtual console.
>>

> Just because you haven't stumbled across the problems that exist when
> running on a system without a Window Manager, don't assume that there is
> no need for one.  And, more importantly, please don't go around telling
> other people that there's no need for one.
>
> I may tell myself that there's no need for a safety on my .45 Magnum,
> and remove it from my pistol--after all, there's no need for one if I
> only ever pull the trigger when I want it to fire--but I would /never/
> presume to tell other people to do the same.***
>
> Besides, can't you spare 300kB of RAM (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/230352#230352 ) to
> get a bulletproof system rather than running in a mode that is known to
> have problems--that may still be laying in wait for you to find one
> day.  It just seems to be sensible to run in a known-good
> configuration--especially if you're running an appliance that should
> Just Work.
>
> I suppose, though, if you'd prefer to walk around an active minefield
> just for the thrill of it--and save yourself 300kB, after all, we all
> know just how critical 300kB is in a modern system capable of running
> mythfrontend--then more power to you...  But, again, please don't tell
> others to run without a WM.  And, really, please don't report any
> problems with parts of the UI being obscured or with mythfrontend
> locking up or...  After all, if/when you do get Z-axis or focus problems
> or whatever, I really don't want to have to waste my time walking you
> through tests to find out why mythfrontend locked up only to find that
> you're running without a Window Manager, so all input is going to the
> root window (what, a window that's not mythfrontend on your system?) and
> so mythfrontend isn't being told to do anything (or whatever specific
> problem you may encounter).
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F

Well, if my FE box were too shoot me or blow up my TV, then I guess I'd
use a window manager. I the 5 years I've run without one, I've lost a
television or suffered a GSW. I've also never run into a focus issue and
never had a keyboard input problem. I guess I've been lucky. But it
seems I've hit a trigger point with Mr Dean. I withdraw my recommendation.

> Mike
>
> *** I do not have a .45 Magnum, nor would I ever modify one in such a
> way.  I'm just trying to make it clear that even if someone does
> something against the general wisdom professed by the community (and/or,
> possibly even against common sense), he shouldn't be telling others to
> do the same.  (And, really, saying, "I only use mythfrontend, so I don't
> need a WM," is almost /exactly/ like saying, "I only ever pull the
> trigger when I want it to fire," because just as you never know who--or
> what--else might accidentally pull the trigger, you also never know what
> windows (plural!) are created by mythfrontend, let alone what other
> applications mythfrontend might spawn, which may have windows
> themselves--now, a Window Manager would know, but...)

I do own a .45 SAA that doesn't have a safety. I guess I've been lucky
there too. Of course I also use LiveTV a lot, I'm just crazy like that.

Ken