[mythtv-users] hdmi audio nvidia gt220 lucid 0.25

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 02:20:50 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:31 AM, HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 09:07 +0100, Andre wrote:
> > On 2 Nov 2012, at 08:59, Nick Rout wrote:
> >
> > > I have an nvidia gt220 card in a lucid machine running 0.25 fixes via
> mythtv repos.
> > >
> > > I can't get hdmi audio to work.
> > >
> > > The following data points seem relevant:
> > >
> > > kernel 2.6.32-44-generic
> > > cat /proc/asound/version - 1.0.21 (suspect a problem here)
> >
> > Yes, you need 1.0.24 (maybe .23) at least
> >
> > There are ppa's around for this.
> >

> > > nvidia drivers are 195.36.24
> >
> > You may need newer nvidia drivers too, my gt220 under lucid certainly
> had much newer drivers but this was all a while ago.
> >

> > > *get a newer alsa version via some ppa or other (if so which one)
> > >
> > > *ditch the current os and install 12.04 (which is probably future
> proofing as I will want to move to 0.26 and beyond soon anyway, but I'll
> only do it now if it will fix this right now).
> >
> > The GT220 HDMI works straight off with 12.04 I have a 12.04 machine with
> GT220 and HDMI worked straight away with nvidia-current drivers (even the
> Ubuntu packaged ones).
> >
> > Andre
> >

> There is iQuik audio ppa for lucid that updates the alsa user space to
> 1.0.24.
>
> There is an alsa backports kernel module 1.0.23
>
> In proposed lucid:-
> linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic

That gets you the 1.0.23 drivers but you are still on the 1.0.21 alsa-utils
- in short, some new devices appeared in /proc/asound/NVidia, but still no
cake in mythtv nor in xbmc.

> I would try the backports module first (1.0.23), the iquik ppa was
> recommended for getting HDMI audio working etc..

Enabling that repo and update/upgrade got me four new packages (alsa-base,
libasound2, alsa-utils and linux-sound-base) and now all is working in both
mythtv and xbmc.

For those searching this at a later date, myth's AudioOutputDevice is now
set to ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 and XBMC is set to Custom with the
custom device specified as hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1