[mythtv-users] Suspend to RAM

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 08:51:15 UTC 2012

2012/11/2 Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com>

> But I have an other problem, before I suspend the machine I use to switch
>> of the TV with a irsend command. But when I return from suspend mode the TV
>> is off.
>>
>> I don't know how to manage this, do I need a special script to run before
>> return from suspend? how could I check if the TV is off?
>>

> I would use an IRSEND to power the tv back on when the system resumes from
> suspend (eg
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/141702/how-to-run-a-script-after-the-system-resumes-from-hibernate-suspent-to-disk
> )
>
>  To determine if the TV is already on, there are several approaches you
> might take:
> 1. do an edid query (should only work if the tv is on)
> 2. use a serial cable, if your tv has a db9, and see if you get a response
> from the set.
> 3. ping the tv (assuming it has network connectivity)
>
> I have also read that you could wire the tv's usb +5v and GND to a serial
> port's CTS and GND and sense the CTS status of the port using a python or C
> program... but that's far more complicated.

Thanks Joseph, I will try the first approach, I installed the "ddccontrol"
package, but how could find the TV information?

Now I am not at home and the TV is off, this is what I get:

# ddccontrol -p
ddccontrol version 0.4.2
Copyright 2004-2005 Oleg I. Vdovikin (oleg at cs.msu.su)
Copyright 2004-2006 Nicolas Boichat (nicolas at boichat.ch)
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of this program under the terms of the GNU
General Public License.

Probing for available monitors...I/O warning : failed to load external
entity "/usr/share/ddccontrol-db/monitor/SNYC901.xml"
Document not parsed successfully.
Detected monitors :
 - Device: dev:/dev/i2c-2
   DDC/CI supported: No
   Monitor Name: VESA standard monitor
   Input type: Digital
No monitor supporting DDC/CI available.
If your graphics card need it, please check all the required kernel modules
are loaded (i2c-dev, and your framebuffer driver).

Is there any other way to detect the TV? Maybe CEC?

Thanks and best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano