[mythtv-users] What is being worked on for 0.26?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu May 31 14:58:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 08:47:36PM +1000, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 6:09 AM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I originally suggested that Recordings and Videos are combined I
> > was thinking the Recordings could be tagged with "Recordings" and
> > Videos tagged with "Videos".
> >
> > Videos and Recordings have very similar data and I suspect and with a
> > few differences here and there they have a very similar interface to
> > the user.  This would allow Myth to be maintained and upgraded easier
> > and make the overall experience to the user simpler.
> >

> You see, that's the thing. They don't.
>
> TV is, for now, primarily chronological. People watch it and discuss it for
> a few days after it airs. Most television is disposable rubbish.
>
> My videos are different. Everything in my videos library is something I
> like, and they exist in a timeless void. Where I like my television in a
> simple chronological list, I want to browse my videos as a gallery.

    Plenty of non-disposable video is chronological.

    That's whyy I have advocated the "cursor" concept for mythvideo forquite
some time. Keep track of where you are in a TV series or Movie collection
and automatically be directed to the current or next item when you visit it
again.

> If, at some point in the far future, everything on television is broadcast
> on time and can be watched without ads, I might find mixing the content
> useful on a series-by-series basis. But right now, the metadata associated
> with my recordings is, at best, a guide. Most of my recorded episodes of,
> for instance, Castle are caught up in awkwardly named double episodes.
> Thanks to the stupidity of Australian TV networks, the first 20 minutes is
> likely to be overflow from some stupid reality show. Much of the time, the
> ending has spilled onto the next show scheduled on that channel. If they
> were interspersed with the clean episodes from my DVD's, it would drive me
> insane.

    Alternately, MythTV could tell you that the thing you are trying to watch
from the recordings is a already in your DVD archive othat the next thing
after what youu watched from your DVD archive is sitting in the recordings.