[mythtv-users] What is being worked on for 0.26?

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Thu May 31 11:32:04 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 6:09 AM, nospam312 < nospam312 at gmail.com >
> wrote:
>

> When I originally suggested that Recordings and Videos are combined I
> was thinking the Recordings could be tagged with "Recordings" and
> Videos tagged with "Videos".
>
> Videos and Recordings have very similar data and I suspect and with a
> few differences here and there they have a very similar interface to
> the user.  This would allow Myth to be maintained and upgraded easier
> and make the overall experience to the user simpler.
>

> You see, that's the thing. They don't.
>

> TV is, for now, primarily chronological. People watch it and discuss
> it for a few days after it airs. Most television is disposable
> rubbish.
>

> My videos are different. Everything in my videos library is something
> I like, and they exist in a timeless void. Where I like my television
> in a simple chronological list, I want to browse my videos as a
> gallery.
>

> If, at some point in the far future, everything on television is
> broadcast on time and can be watched without ads, I might find mixing
> the content useful on a series-by-series basis. But right now, the
> metadata associated with my recordings is, at best, a guide. Most of
> my recorded episodes of, for instance, Castle are caught up in
> awkwardly named double episodes. Thanks to the stupidity of Australian
> TV networks, the first 20 minutes is likely to be overflow from some
> stupid reality show. Much of the time, the ending has spilled onto the
> next show scheduled on that channel. If they were interspersed with
> the clean episodes from my DVD's, it would drive me insane.
>

> - Chris

So, just to add a couple more of my pennies into the pool -- I hate
having to switch between views to see a TV series. take "Burn Notice"
for example - I have 2 seasons on DVD and a bunch recorded, When I should
want to watch (or my someone else visiting) some of the series, they(I)
don't really care how it was stored on my server -- they(I) just want to
see the next episode.  And when I am trying to "fill-in" missed episodes,
I really don't need the ones I have recorded, re-recorded.  A unified
scheme would fit me better...  But as said before, and I totally agree
with - I'll take what the nice developers give me, and be happy with it.

Nasa