[mythtv-users] What is being worked on for 0.26?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu May 31 10:47:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 6:09 AM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I originally suggested that Recordings and Videos are combined I
> was thinking the Recordings could be tagged with "Recordings" and
> Videos tagged with "Videos".
>
> Videos and Recordings have very similar data and I suspect and with a
> few differences here and there they have a very similar interface to
> the user.  This would allow Myth to be maintained and upgraded easier
> and make the overall experience to the user simpler.

You see, that's the thing. They don't.

TV is, for now, primarily chronological. People watch it and discuss it for
a few days after it airs. Most television is disposable rubbish.

My videos are different. Everything in my videos library is something I
like, and they exist in a timeless void. Where I like my television in a
simple chronological list, I want to browse my videos as a gallery.

If, at some point in the far future, everything on television is broadcast
on time and can be watched without ads, I might find mixing the content
useful on a series-by-series basis. But right now, the metadata associated
with my recordings is, at best, a guide. Most of my recorded episodes of,
for instance, Castle are caught up in awkwardly named double episodes.
Thanks to the stupidity of Australian TV networks, the first 20 minutes is
likely to be overflow from some stupid reality show. Much of the time, the
ending has spilled onto the next show scheduled on that channel. If they
were interspersed with the clean episodes from my DVD's, it would drive me
insane.

- Chris