[mythtv-users] "Migrated" recordings from 0.24 won't stream via HLS

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 31 06:23:41 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 01:33 AM, Thomas Pontoppidan wrote:
> 2012/5/30 Michael T. Dean
>> On 05/30/2012 03:03 AM, Thomas Pontoppidan wrote:

>>> Well, I won't blame Google - after all it was my decision to not follow
>>> official directions:-)
>>> Looking back that is probably what I *should* have done, but I am not
>>> sure
>>> I'm up for that now - I spent most of a day setting up the new database,
>>> mostly because I wasn't satisfied with the old setup (non-standard
>>> keybindings,
>>>
>> can be reset to defaults by going into mythfrontend Utilities/Setup|Edit
>> Keys, then using MENU to select "Reset All Keys to Defaults" (
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.**com/lists/mythtv/commits/**487153#487153<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/487153#487153>) on any frontend whose key bindings you want to reset.
>>
>>> bad tuner setup,
>>>
>> which could have been reset/cleared by using mythtv-setup to do a "Delete
>> all capture cards"
>>> flawed channel lists etc.).
>>>
>> and a "Delete all video sources" (not "Delete all video sources on
>> <hostname>").
>>
>>> Going back would
>>> require me to do it all over again:-)
>>>
>> But would make the rest of your system function properly--and without any
>> concerns over the integrity of your database schema or data.

>>>   I already did reconfigure the entire setup and according to the links I
>>> would need to do some preparation on the old setup - obviously not
>>> possible
>>> now that the system is already upgraded:-(
>>>
>>> Guess I will have a closer look at the tables while I consider the
>>> "complete restore" option:-(
>>>
>> Right, I'm suggesting you either do a full restore--and then use MythTV
>> tools to clean up what you don't like--or start over with a supported
>> partial restore.  I can't guarantee that HLS would work with your old
>> recordings if you do the partial restore using the restore script, but at
>> that point, I'd be motivated to help debug the issues, since I wouldn't
>> have any reason to assume your DB is corrupt.
>
> Thanks for your input - I will definitely use the proper procedure next
> time! But this time I just can't imagine starting over after all the work
> I've done:-)
>
> Anyway, problem seems to be solved: I found a difference in paths in the
> "livestream" table during HLS streaming - for new recordings it pointed to
> the recording's real location while the old recording entry would point to
> "myth:@"host-from-the-old-setup"/"file". After updating the hostname in the
> recordings table and restarting mythbackend streaming works fine!

Meaning you changed your host name and didn't update your MythTV setup:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

If you're comfortable believing that everything else--data and
schema--in your current DB is good and there's no other brokenness
(other than the loss of non-re-creatable information due to the broken
procedure you followed for the partial restore) and/or that you can
figure out and fix all the problems that crop up in the future (and you
believe that doing so will take less time than doing a full restore of
the pre-upgrade DB backup, changing hostname (as above), Delete All
Capture Cards, Delete All Video Sources, creating new cards and video
sources, connecting inputs, and scanning channels, then resetting key
bindings in mythfrontend...), I suppose I'm comfortable letting you run
with your not-as-good-as-it-should-be database.  :)  (Just saying that
you won't have the option to go back to your pre-upgrade database backup
for long, so now is the only opportunity...)

Anyway, glad you figured out this issue.

Mike