[mythtv-users] What is being worked on for 0.26?

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Wed May 30 21:53:59 UTC 2012

On 31 May 2012 06:09, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did not expect to open a can of worms.
>
> This is my vision (or dream if you like) hopefully explained a bit better.
>
> (Really simplifying now - I get it this would be a huge task)
>
> When I originally suggested that Recordings and Videos are combined I
> was thinking the Recordings could be tagged with "Recordings" and
> Videos tagged with "Videos".
>
> Videos and Recordings have very similar data and I suspect and with a
> few differences here and there they have a very similar interface to
> the user.  This would allow Myth to be maintained and upgraded easier
> and make the overall experience to the user simpler.
>
> If we have this tagging system in the theme you could display a button
> for a "listing" for tag "recordings".  You could display a button for
> a "listing" for tag "Videos".  This could all be combined into a
> screen where the tags to display would also be fully selectable also.
> I would define a button for a "listing" for tag "Videos and
> Recordings" giving me my combined listing.  Nothing is lost but
> everything is gained!
>
> The options are infinite - I could have tags for "User1" and "User2".
> I could then in a theme display a button for a "listing" for tags
> "recordings and user2" and perhaps with a specific option of "locked"
> which would mean the tags can't be changed meaning this install/user
> of mythfrontend would only be able to see these specifically tagged
> recordings and nothing else.
>
> I could even go as far to say yes lets include music also.  You can
> play music, pause it, fast forward it, if you have a graphic equaliser
> or other visualisation (cover art) it even has a visual aspect just
> like a video - it is very similar to Videos/Recordings.
>
> Other special tags could replace Storage Groups, Recording Groups and the
> rest.
>
> A single screen that allows you to view tagged "stuff" (perhaps music
> but currently that may be taking it too far) is a huge change but I
> think if it is done correctly with the necessary display options it
> would make MythTV out of this world!

My 2 cents and random thoughts,

Video Folder paths could also just be another tag, which would also allow
you to do the opposite with recordings to be displayed in videos in a
Recordings "Folder" which is read from the tag.

With music I always wanted the visualisation option to play music video if
available, music videos/Concerts for me are a grey area as are they aren't
really TV (Recording) nor a movie (Video) and actually fit better as music
and there really isn't a good source of metadata for music videos although
some concerts can be found in movie metadata....

Cheers,

Anthony