[mythtv-users] Edit a theme menu screen

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Wed May 30 21:13:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012 04:03:14 +0100, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
>> wrote:

>>> You don't need to modify the theme. You need to modify the menu theme.
>>> Menu themes are different. They are in the same folder (for me, it's
>>> /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes) with names like defaultmenu, DVR,
>>> classic, and mediacentermenu.
>>
>> Also, you can create or copy one of the menu theme files into
>> ~/.mythtv/ and the frontend will pick up that file instead, so you
>> don't have to modify any installed files.

> Thanks guys, I'll go with the option of copying the file to my myth user
> home and editing it there. I saw those files initially but was not sure
> which >one to change since none of them matched the main menu content I
> see in the theme?!?! Should I copy over and edit all of them or >the
> mediacentermenu is the right one? It's not a big deal but just trying to
> understand which theme uses which file. I guess I should change all of
> >them if I want to make the change global.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
> Igor

I suspect you're missing the point. The terminology is confusing but the
menu definitions are independent of the theme you're using (even though
they're bundled together). The files to modify depend on which menu system
you are using, as configured by Setup/Appearance.

For instance, I prefer the DVR menus, so I have copied files from
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/DVR to ~/.mythtv/themes/DVR and modified them.
You should only copy files that you are going to change.

Your menus will persist whichever Myth theme you use. However you don't
need to change the other menu definitions unless you regularly switch menu
systems in Setup/Appearance (unlikely).

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide