[mythtv-users] Tuning problems on one card post switchover

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Wed May 30 18:26:32 UTC 2012

On 20/04/12 19:58, Alex Tomlins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a setup with 2 Hauppage Nova-T cards (of slightly
> different vintage).  These are both connected to the same aerial
> that's pointed at the Crystal Palace transmitter in London.
>
> The problem is that the second of these can no longer tune anything
> since the switchover has happened.  Interestingly after the first
> phase of the switchover, it couldn't tune to any channels on the mux
> that had changed, but could still tune channels on any of the other
> muxes.  I was wondering whether this could be related to the power
> increase that went with the switchover (they've increased from 20kW to
> 200kW).
>
> Is it possible that the card's input is being overloaded, and that an
> attenuator would sort the problem? Has anyone else had issues like this?

To follow up with this in case anyone else has a similar issue...

The issue did not seem to be related to the increased transmission power
after switchover.  Adding attenuators made no difference.

My guess is that the specific card (Hauppauge Nova-T 90003 LF REV C2B0)
can't handle the transmission mode that the post-switchover muxes use (I
believe they went from mode1 to mode3 or mode8 as detailed here:
http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051920).

It's also possible that there's some subtle failure on my specific card
that means that it can't tune the new muxes, but that strikes me as
unlikely.

In the end I replaced the card in question.

I hope this might help someone...

thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started