[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime in QAM Mode

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Wed May 30 14:46:45 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-29 15:09, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Mitchell Gore
> <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would disagree.  Most Cable Co's are trying to encrypt everything
>> so they
>> dont have to roll a truck to activate/de-activate service.  Saving
>> them a
>> bunch of $$.  It doesnt have anything to do with a few subset of
>> users
>> getting essentially the free OTA stations via a cable feed w/only
>> Internet.
>
> This is a distinction without a difference.  Whether they're rolling
> truck to pull the cable completely after a full deactivation, or
> they're rolling a truck to install a cable trap to block tv signals
> after a tv-only deactivation doesn't change the fundamental point
> that
> clear QAM is going away at least on the excuse that people are using
> it without paying for it.  It's theft of service either way.

In our area (N. Illinois), they bill $15 for only 1 service (Internet)
or $8.99 for Basic cable (locals only).  Which effectively means it's
cheaper to pay for the clear-qam channels even if you don't use them
than not if you cut the Tv chord.  I use both OTA and Clear-Qam on my
myth system (some local channels don't come in well as the antenna
points to a distant city for more choice). However, a friend of mine
needed a cable card for his Tivo to receive Locals only.  I assume you
could use a Cable card in an HDHomeRun Prime for locals only?

Rob