[mythtv-users] Fresh install, struggling to change imported db schema

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Tue May 29 21:49:01 UTC 2012

On 27/05/2012 20:26, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/27/2012 08:52 AM, Damian wrote:

>>> Need backend log files showing the failed upgrade.
>>>
>>> However, I recommend using mythtv-setup to upgrade the database,
>>> instead of mythtv-setup.
>>>
>>> That said, the failure at, specifically, 1277 is almost definitely:
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/517981#517981
>>>
>>> which means you need to go back to the pre-upgrade database backup
>>> (the 1264 schema version backup) and restore it properly.  If you
>>> don't have the 1264 database backup, there will be /much/ more work
>>> involved in fixing things properly.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. It's not what I was hoping to hear, but
>> thanks anyway. Knowing where I am is very much appreciated.
>>
>> The idea of '/much/ more work' being involved in fixing the database
>> is more than I can deal with. The database always seems to be the
>> thing that trips me up and even the most apparently basic
>> instructions 'to someone who knows' needs spelling out in minute
>> details to those of us who don't.
>>
>> The database backup that I did manually, after the 'partial upgrade'
>> is almost 20Mb (it's a .sql file).
>>
>> I have just looked inside my MythTV 'DBbackups' folder and there are
>> lots of files in there. Most have names like
>> mythconverg-1276-20120522192540.sql.gz, but the oldest 5 or 6 have
>> names like mythconverg-1264-20120429075546.sql.gz
>>
>> The 1264 in the name gives me some hope,
>
> Yes, that's the DB schema version, and 1264 is the one for a
> 0.24-fixes system.  However, the other number is the date and time of
> the backup, so a backup from 20120429075546 is Apr 29, 2012.  Do you
> have any 1264 backups that are closer to the day you started the
> upgrade process?
>
>> but the file sizes are only about 4.5mb, so maybe they are not what
>> I'm after. Or maybe that's just down to the .gz compression?
>
> Yeah, gzip compression of a SQL backup will give you about a 4-6x
> compression.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I have 1264 sql.gz files from 15th, 22nd and 29th of April, and in May I
have 6th, 15th and 22nd.

I'm sure that things were broken by 22nd April because the manual
backups I made (after the 'partial upgrade') are dated 20th May.

I'll try to restore the file from the 15th May and see what happens.

What is the best way for me to restore this sql.gz file? And assuming
that I can get it restored, do I then run mythtv-setup?

Thanks again Mike. Your time helping out is very much appreciated!!

Damian