[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime in QAM Mode

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue May 29 20:09:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Mitchell Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would disagree.  Most Cable Co's are trying to encrypt everything so they
> dont have to roll a truck to activate/de-activate service.  Saving them a
> bunch of $$.  It doesnt have anything to do with a few subset of users
> getting essentially the free OTA stations via a cable feed w/only Internet.

This is a distinction without a difference.  Whether they're rolling a
truck to pull the cable completely after a full deactivation, or
they're rolling a truck to install a cable trap to block tv signals
after a tv-only deactivation doesn't change the fundamental point that
clear QAM is going away at least on the excuse that people are using
it without paying for it.  It's theft of service either way.

Eric