[mythtv-users] mkv subtitle issues

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue May 29 17:38:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Phillip Duda <almvtb at gmail.com> wrote:
> With mythtv 0.25 I have started trying to watch some subtitled things
> with the internal player that I had been playing with mplayer, but I
> have been running in to some problems.  I was just curious if anyone
> else had these issues, and if  you do how did you deal with them.
> Anyways, here are the issues I have been having.
>
> 1) Some subs appear too high in the video.  I have tracked this down
> to only being bitmap subs for me.

It's possible that this is the same issue as in
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10688 .  This ticket has been fixed
in 0.25-fixes.

> 2) Internal "plain text" subs appear too early.
> 3) External "plain text" subs appear too late.

Are these subtitles appearing too early/late with respect to mplayer,
or visual inspection, or what?  Which type of internal subtitles?

> 4) "plain text" subs are always white, so there are lost on white backgrounds.

See http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10728 .  The code that draws a
black outline around text was accidentally removed in the initial 0.25
release, but it is back now in 0.25-fixes.

Jim