[mythtv-users] Fresh install, struggling to change imported db schema

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 27 19:26:52 UTC 2012

On 05/27/2012 08:52 AM, Damian wrote:
> On 27/05/2012 12:32, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 05/27/2012 05:42 AM, Damian wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Here's my story :-)
>>>
>>> I've had MythTV running on Ubuntu (via the addition of Mythbuntu)
>>> for a few years. It's been fine for most of that time.
>>>
>>> Upgrading to 0.25 broke things (it did a 'partial upgrade') and
>>> upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 didn't fix them.
>>>
>>> I then formatted the file system and home partitions and installed a
>>> pure Mythbuntu system. However, I came across the same problem I am
>>> about to describe below, and also wasn't keen on a couple of things
>>> about XFCE. So, yesterday I installed a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 system.
>>>
>>> I have added the Mythbuntu packages and managed to import my old
>>> database.
>>>
>>> The problem I'm having is when I click to launch the backend set up,
>>> I'm told:
>>>
>>> "MythTV wants to upgrade your database for the TV schema, from 1276
>>> to 1299".
>>>
>>> I click the relevant buttons to allow this, but it doesn't seem to
>>> work, as the next time I click on the back end set up it tells me
>>> the same thing.
>>>
>>> If it helps at all, I'm also seeing this message inside pypmyadmin:
>>>
>>> "connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed".
>>>
>>> Any tips?
>>
>> Need backend log files showing the failed upgrade.
>>
>> However, I recommend using mythtv-setup to upgrade the database,
>> instead of mythtv-setup.
>>
>> That said, the failure at, specifically, 1277 is almost definitely:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/517981#517981
>>
>> which means you need to go back to the pre-upgrade database backup
>> (the 1264 schema version backup) and restore it properly.  If you
>> don't have the 1264 database backup, there will be /much/ more work
>> involved in fixing things properly.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. It's not what I was hoping to hear, but
> thanks anyway. Knowing where I am is very much appreciated.
>
> The idea of '/much/ more work' being involved in fixing the database
> is more than I can deal with. The database always seems to be the
> thing that trips me up and even the most apparently basic instructions
> 'to someone who knows' needs spelling out in minute details to those
> of us who don't.
>
> The database backup that I did manually, after the 'partial upgrade'
> is almost 20Mb (it's a .sql file).
>
> I have just looked inside my MythTV 'DBbackups' folder and there are
> lots of files in there. Most have names like
> mythconverg-1276-20120522192540.sql.gz, but the oldest 5 or 6 have
> names like mythconverg-1264-20120429075546.sql.gz
>
> The 1264 in the name gives me some hope,

Yes, that's the DB schema version, and 1264 is the one for a 0.24-fixes
system.  However, the other number is the date and time of the backup,
so a backup from 20120429075546 is Apr 29, 2012.  Do you have any 1264
backups that are closer to the day you started the upgrade process?

> but the file sizes are only about 4.5mb, so maybe they are not what
> I'm after. Or maybe that's just down to the .gz compression?

Yeah, gzip compression of a SQL backup will give you about a 4-6x
compression.

Mike