[mythtv-users] MythWeb over HTTPS using mod_rewrite

Joe Nyland joe at joenyland.co.uk
Sun May 27 19:03:48 UTC 2012

On 26/05/2012 20:58, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> Why don't you just run HTTPS on mythweb too? Thats what I do and it's
> very simple (at least with apache).
This was the next thing that I had thought to try too. I hadn't done so
up to now, as it's not been required for a few other web apps that I've
reverse proxied through my web server, so I presumed I shouldn't need to
here. Upon discovering the following line in the source, it pretty much
meant I should actually try running SSL on the MythTV backend server,
just so MythWeb knows that it should be serving up HTTPS links, as
opposed to HTTP ones:

"MythTV-mythweb-8c43d8d/includes/defines.php:    $root_url =
(isset($_SERVER['HTTPS']) && $_SERVER['HTTPS'] == 'on') ? 'https://' :
'http://'; "

I generated a simple self-signed cert on the MythTV backend server,
enabled SSL and give Apache the path to the cert and key, then changed
the reverse proxy directive on my public facing web server to point to
https://mybackend.local from normal http://..., reloaded my config files
and the problem was gone :-D.

To just check that mod_rewrite wasn't causing any issues in the first
place, I re-instated my original mod_rewrite rule and MythWeb continued
to work correctly even with mod_rewrite enabled - which was nice.

Thanks to all who have chimed in to help, I appreciate your time!

Cheers,

Joe