[mythtv-users] how do i set up a second ir transmitter on fedora 16

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Sun May 27 01:58:50 UTC 2012

I am running fedora 16 and mythtv trunk.  I have two hdpvr's and two set
top boxes along with and HDHR3.  I was using firewire to change channels
but it appears my STB's have stopped accepting channel changes via
firewire and I have given up trying to get time warner to help get it
fixed.  I figure they will never turn off the ir so I am going to
convert my channel changes to use ir.

I have an msusb for my receiver and and using one of the transmitters on
the msusb to change channels on one of my stb's with the use if the
irchannelchange.pl script.  I am now trying to get my second stb to
change channels and time warner has told me that I can not make one of
the stb's use a different set of ir codes so I need to get a second ir
transmitter working.  I have a serial ir transmitter from years ago and
I have one serial port on my mother board so I am trying to go that
route.  I have successfully installed the serial modules for lirc and
now have a /dev/lirc0 (msusb) and a /dev/lirc1 (Serial IR I think)
however I do not know how to get /dev/lirc1 set up to take commands.

I am also confused if I need to use lircd or if everything is in the
fedora kernel and I do not even need lirc.  Also I am using irexec to
handle the power button.  Please help guide me to a solution.