[mythtv-users] MythWeb over HTTPS using mod_rewrite

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri May 25 14:41:45 UTC 2012

Joe_Nyland wrote:

>I've successfully setup a reverse proxy to allow me to browse to
>https://mydomain.com/mythweb/ which is then proxied to my MythTV
>server on the local LAN. Obviously this is password protected, etc.

>RewriteEngine On
>RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
>RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}

Can't directly help with the problem, but ...

I assume you've considered the security implications ? Is the
password being requested by the proxy or your MythWeb site behind it ?
If you leave an open proxy then sooner or later you will find someone
using it to proxy connections to outside sites (to attack them while
hiding their origin). I see requests probing my servers to see if
mod-rewrite is active on a regular basis.

Ah, just had a thought on your problem.
I'd have a look at the source and see what is in the function
"list_update" which is called by the time navigation buttons and
menus. I'm just thinking that if the "http" is hard coded (rather
than using the protocol from the page request) then the time
navigation would be trying to use http instead of https.

You could also try using wireshark or similar to see what traffic is
actually being sent between your machine and the server.

--
Simon Hobson