[mythtv-users] MythWeb over HTTPS using mod_rewrite

Joe Nyland joe at joenyland.co.uk
Fri May 25 13:42:15 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I've successfully setup a reverse proxy to allow me to browse to https://mydomain.com/mythweb/ which is then proxied to my MythTV server on the local LAN. Obviously this is password protected, etc.

I have this setup for a few other services on my LAN and it works great, however the one issue I'm facing is with the Listings area of MythWeb - I can browse to the Listings page no problem, but when I try to change the time I'm viewing, the page refreshes, but I just get the MythWeb header and a blank blue background below.

Investigating this issue this afternoon, I've narrowed the issue down to my mod_rewrite rule on the Apache reverse proxy server. Here's the rule I'm using to make all MythWeb requests get re-written to https://... :

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}

As I say, this works, but just not for the listings page. There doesn't appear to be any errors logged in the Apache logs.

Here's a simple overview of the setup, if it helps:

[Internet] --> [My Site] e.g. http(s)://mydomain.com/mythweb/ --> [My web server] --> [MythTV Server] e.g. http://mythtvserver.local/mythweb

I'm running:
MythTV Version : v0.25-100-gb5b4c48
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120506-1
QT Version : 4.6.2

Does anyone successfully use mod_rewrite to force SSL for MythWeb? If so, how have you accomplished it?

Thanks in advance.

Joe