[mythtv-users] blu ray rip playback

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu May 24 17:44:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 09:59:35PM +1000, Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 16 May 2012 16:30, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> >> I have some blu rays that I own which I want to rip to my network.
[deletia]
> > myth can play bluray disk directly (or mounted ISO), provided the disk
> > isn't encrypted, or is encrypted with BDMV, which is only applicable
> > for a few years old bluray now (everything today is BD+)
> >
> > A tool such as AnyDVD-HD, will let you rip a decrypted iso and you can
> > play it straight with mythtv
>

> Ok, I did some playing around
> Trial 1:
> -ripped blu ray folder structure with makemkv
> -copied to file server (last time I only copied the BDMV folder, not all 3!)
> -folder shows up as 1 discrete movie
> -playing the movie sorta works.  It takes it ~5 minutes to load.  It
> seems like does a callback to the server for every piece of the video
> before starting (hundreds of lines of the same thing logged over and
> over about fetching from backend)
>
> Gave up on that!
>
> Trial 2:
> -Downloaded ANYDVD-HD trial version
> -rip Paul as an ISO with ripper and set to decrypt everything

   If you aren't using the special features, just rip the main feature.
Once you have the disk decrpyted, you can judge this based on file size.
Although some disks don't take this "single file" approach. These are a
bit trickier with MythTV.

   You can take these and concatenate the individual files together like
with DVD VOBs but MythTV doesn't handle them well.

   Although Paul in particular is the simple disk type. The main title file
plays just fine through MythTV.

[deletia]