[mythtv-users] blu ray rip playback

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Thu May 24 11:59:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2012 16:30, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
>> I have some blu rays that I own which I want to rip to my network.
>>
>> Currently I'm using makemvk to rip all audio/subs/etc to an mkv.  This
>> works well, with two exceptions:
>> 1. if I want to keep the directors cut and the normal cut it takes
>> twice the space
>> 2. extras are gone (as are menus, but.... meh?)
>>
>> If I simply keep doing what I'm doing it doesn't actually annoy me.
>>
>> However, I remember that mythtv used to support playing a DVD file rip
>> from a VIDEO_TS folder (with all the files that were on the DVD
>> already decrypted), and wondered if it would do the same for blu rays.
>>  I used makemkv to do a disk folder rip/decription, and was left with
>> the blu ray structure.
>
> myth can play bluray disk directly (or mounted ISO), provided the disk
> isn't encrypted, or is encrypted with BDMV, which is only applicable
> for a few years old bluray now (everything today is BD+)
>
> A tool such as AnyDVD-HD, will let you rip a decrypted iso and you can
> play it straight with mythtv

Ok, I did some playing around
Trial 1:
-ripped blu ray folder structure with makemkv
-copied to file server (last time I only copied the BDMV folder, not all 3!)
-folder shows up as 1 discrete movie
-playing the movie sorta works.  It takes it ~5 minutes to load.  It
seems like does a callback to the server for every piece of the video
before starting (hundreds of lines of the same thing logged over and
over about fetching from backend)

Gave up on that!

Trial 2:
-Downloaded ANYDVD-HD trial version
-rip Paul as an ISO with ripper and set to decrypt everything
-selecting video has NO effect in UI
-Logs show this:

2012-05-24 21:51:20.113195 I  Using protocol version 72
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version svnR1215
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
2012-05-24 21:51:23.635776 I  Using protocol version 72
2012-05-24 21:51:23.751185 I  Using protocol version 72
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
2012-05-24 21:51:24.440577 E  DVDInfo: Failed to open device at
myth://Videos@192.168.0.100:6543/Movies/ripped/bluray/disk/PAUL_G55.iso

Any ideas?  It seems it's trying to play it as a dvd, not a blu ray.

Thanks