[mythtv-users] Remote frontends can't connect following Mythbuntu update

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Thu May 24 04:16:13 UTC 2012

Ran the update manager on my Mythbuntu 12.04 backend (I know, bad
idea) last week, and discovered that remote frontends could no longer
connect.

Here's the frontend log message:

2012-05-20 19:48:53.809600 E  Unable to connect to database!
2012-05-20 19:48:53.809640 E  Driver error was [1/2003]:
QMYSQL: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (61)

My backend has the static IP address above: I hadn't changed that or
anything in the frontends' settings.

I checked /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and config.xml - nothing had changed.
In desperation, I changed the mysql password for the mythtv user from
the Mythbuntu random gibberish to "mythtv".  While that wreaked havoc
with mythweb, it still did not fix the problem.

What I finally discovered was that the update had edited an obscure
file called /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf.  Inexplicably, it was
changed from

[mysqld]
bind-address=0.0.0.0

[mysqld]
#bind-address=0.0.0.0

The net effect was that the mysql server no longer listened for
frontends on the network, only for the local frontend.  Removing the
"#" character solved the problem.

I figured I'd post here in case anyone else had been screwed over by
the update manger recently.  Any idea why the Mythbuntu update would
mess around with mysql that way?