[mythtv-users] Issue with Ceton InfiniTV and 0.25-fixes mythbuntu

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue May 22 19:26:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Patrick Ouellette
<pat at flying-gecko.net> wrote:

> Running mythbuntu 0.25-fixes.
>
> If I attempt to go from watching none to live tv on an encrypted channel I
> get the fail back to the menu with a video buffer error.  If I tune to an
> unencrypted channel on the same tuner it tunes, and then I can change channels
> to the encrypted channel and all is usually well.

This sounds like the same problem I've posted about a while ago here:
www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/509127
www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/509273

(note, the thread seemed to get split in 2, so it might be a little
hard to follow)

I don't believe the unencrypted vs encrypted status has anything to do
with it, as for me it only happens on a couple of channels. My current
suspicion is that the cable company is doing something odd in the mpeg
stream that is causing the frontend to choke (I just haven't been able
to figure out what it is yet). In my case, I can verify that the
backend recording code is working because (as I described in the above
thread) after it errored out, I was able to go into the LiveTV group
and play the 10 second livetv recording that errored out, and it
recorded the whole thing perfectly.

In the above thread, I mentioned that the problem only happened when
streaming from the backend. If you have the recording folder mounted
locally via NFS, the problem went away (though I then experienced the
annoying problem that I got a tone of pixelation unless I paused
playback for a few seconds each time I changed a channel).

--
Ron Frazier