[mythtv-users] Has anybody a working copy of Mythrecipe?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 22 16:29:57 UTC 2012

On 05/22/2012 11:18 AM, George Galt wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> I think you should look into Gourmet:
>>>
>>>   http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> If you really want to have a new MythRecipe plugin, it could be done
>>> as a simpler interface to Gourmet, rather than trying to implement
>>> everything and storing recipes in the mythconverg database as
>>> MythRecipe did.   Without a new plugin, simply launching Gourmet as an
>>> external app from the mythtv menu might get you most of what you want.
>> MythRecipe was VERY frustrating. I really like the concept, but in the
>> end, it just wasn't very polished.
>>
>> As Eric said, you are probably better off with a standard application
>> like Gourmet Recipe Manager.
> I'd second Steven's comments.  Because the Myth interface is geared
> towards a remote, it doesn't really work for recipes -- other than
> simply displaying them.  For that purpose, gourmet or krecipe work.  I
> also use Pepper Pot on my iPad, which is great in the kitchen because
> it can move around with you like a real cookbook.

And, FWIW, even though Gourmet Recipe Manager is based on SQLite, it
uses SQL Alchemy (which provides a capability of using other
databases).  A motivated individual could likely fix gourmet to allow
use with MySQL (using the --database-url option) relatively easily, then
your EXEC in the MythTV menu could run it against a (non-mythconverg,
I'd highly recommend***) database on the same server that hosts the
MythTV mythconverg database, so the data is available on any host.  Or,
better, because it's not a MythTV plugin, you'd be able to run it
independently of MythTV--allowing tiled or separate-screen usage while
playing back recordings/video using MythTV (as I mentioned before).

See

http://blog.henrygis.com/2011/02/running-gourmet-recipe-manager-side-by.html
http://blog.henrygis.com/2011/02/setting-up-gourmet-recipe-manager-part.html

and I'm pretty sure the author would be pleased to receive patches that
fix MySQL support:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/grecipe-manager/forums/forum/371767/topic/3397765
(3rd post, by thomas_hinkle , the author/creator/admin of Gourmet)

and, for the "marketing" reasons to choose gourmet:

http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/

I know that AnyMeal ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/anymeal/ ) uses
MySQL, already, but it seems to be more basic and may or may not be
abandoned (if nothing else, it's not very active--last release was Feb
2010, and the web site is dead:
http://www.wedesoft.demon.co.uk/anymeal-api/ ).  Not sure about others,
like krecipe and such...

Mike

*** There's no reason for Gourmet Recipe Manager to use MythTV's
database to store its data.  None of the data would be MythTV-specific,
so it makes more sense to create a Gourmet-specific database for just
your recipes.  This would make maintenance easier and more flexible, and
would also allow non-MythTV users to use MySQL for Gourmet storage,
using the exact same approach you use.