[mythtv-users] are missing recordings automatically re-recorded when available?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 22 00:21:21 UTC 2012

On 05/21/2012 08:05 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-05-21 07:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Well, current MythTV isn't designed to manage metadata in Watch
>> Recordings for recordings without files.
> And that's fair enough.  Certainly what I want to do is outside the
> realm of a typical/normal workflow I'd think.
>
>> If you want to hack around the system and you really want to have a
>> bunch of missing files slowing down Watch Recordings, you can put all of
>> the recordings into a recording group ("Missing Files" or whatever),
>> then "touch" the file for each one, then select that recording group in
>> Watch Recordings and add the group to the playlist, then use Playlist
>> Options to choose "Allow this episode to re-record", then go delete the
>> 0-byte files.
> Ahhh.  Nice solution.  Except that I don't seem to have a menu option on
> these broken recordings to even change their recording group.  The only
> options are "Show Recording Details", "Delete", and "Add to Playlist".
> I might be able to use the playlist to change the recording group,
> however...

With add to playlist available, you might be able to access both the
"Allow this episode to re-record" and "Change recording group" playlist
options directly, and not even need to touch files.

> I can cobble up some shell-script to give me a list of recordings that
> have a missing file and create 0-byte files from that list so this first
> problem is not really a huge problem.  However, even with recordings
> tagged (and of course untagged as described previously), there isn't a
> playlist option to "Allow ... re-record"

Yes, because we didn't design Watch Recordings to allow you to keep
metadata for non-existent recordings.  It's supposed to manage
recordings--complete with metadata /and/ files.  :)

Mike