[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath

Stephan Seitz stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net
Mon May 21 18:56:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 02:22:36PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>MythTV is different from many/most other *nix apps in that there are
>often multiple instances of applications running--and logging
>information--concurrently. That said, the only "good old unix way" of

You mean like a mail server like postfix with its different applications
like smtpd, qmgr, cleanup or postscreen being able to receive and handle
mails in parallel and logging each process without exploding computers?

>logging I know of is, in fact, syslog--everything else is pretty much
>non-standard, application-specific logging practices (where the vast
>majority of those applications have only one instance or an application
>to worry about, too).

Well, show me an application with the same behaviour as mythtv. The
applications (like apache) which don’t use syslog can be told to log into
a certain file. Some can rotate the logfiles themself, others need
logrotate, but you always know which file will contain the current
logoutput.

>FWIW, you don't need an unused log facility with the simple
>configuration (which I just moved to a separate page so it's easier to
>quote/easier to distinguish as separate).
>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Simple_rsyslog_Configuration
>As for dealing with multiple syslog implementations, I'd suppose
>packagers could handle it as they do for other syslog-using
>applications. (That said, I know nothing of packaging, but I do know of
>many applications that use syslog.)

It isn’t that easy. Your rsyslog examples will only work with rsyslog,
and only rsyslog has the rsyslog.d directory. If the system uses
syslog-ng or sysklogd you must manipulate one global configuration file.
syslog-ng and sysklogd will support filtering according to facility, but
I don’t know if you can filter for application names.

I would certainly not try to put such a logic into a package.

On the other hand, mythtv generates to much logs to put everything into
/var/log/syslog.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--