[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath

Stephan Seitz stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net
Mon May 21 17:27:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:43:23PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>You do realize you can easily find the current log file with something
>like:
>ls -t /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend-*.log | head -n1
>and could even have your mythbackend/mythfrontend start script create
>a link with a name like /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log using
>information obtained that way.

Of course, we will certainly find other complicated hacks to get standard
behaviour.

>>Piping the log output through syslog to get proper logfile names is
>>only a workaround for a buggy software.
>Using the definition of buggy = something I don't understand/like?

Buggy = something that doesn’t follow the good old unix way.

>Why not just use syslog? The syslog logging is the approach we've

Well, for now I’m using syslog according to your nice examples you
quoted. It is working but I still consider it a workaround, especially
since everything was right before 0.25.

This is bad for distributions as well. How should mythtv be packaged?
With logpath and then having a directory with lots of confusing files?
With syslog and then try to figure out which facility is not used and how
to configure the different log daemons (Debian has three at least)?

This new behaviour makes everything so unnecessary complicated.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse at fsing.rootsland.net |