[mythtv-users] MythGallery: "Timed out waiting for frames" playing MJPEG

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sun May 20 20:20:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012 08:27:35 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI
<raffaele.belardi at st.com> wrote:

> On 05/14/2012 09:05 AM, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
>> After the move to 0.25 playback of the videos recorded from my still
>> camera in MythGallery is awful: Internal player plays a couple of
>> seconds, then stops audio and video, then continues, then stops again
>> and so on. The log is full of "Timed out waiting for frames, and There
>> are not enough free frames, discarding buffered frames".
>>
>> mplayer plays the same files without issues. No problem playing AVIs nor
>> high quality mkv with Internal player. Live TV is ok.
>
> Nobody else is having problems with MJPEG movies in MythGallery?
>
> thanks,
>
> raffaele

Yes. I also noticed this a few days ago.

My camera generates MOV files which produce the problems you describe.
Some of these I have compressed to AVI files (for web posting) and these
also have the stutter. However other (downloaded) AVI files play perfectly
in Myth, as do other formats. All these 'problem files' play perfectly in
VLC and mythffplay.

So is it an issue with MythVideo playing files produced by cameras ?

I used VLC to play these movies in 0.24 but I don't remember why - I must
have had some issues back then as well.

More worryingly, I can't seem to change the MythGallery player any more -
it no longer appears to respect the Video File Type settings in 0.25. If I
copy a camera video to my 'videos' directory it plays using VLC (as
configured). However the same video in my 'pictures' directory always
invokes the Internal player.

I've attached a "-v playback --loglevel debug" log. The "60 Hz Display
Refresh Rate" is alarming (I'm using UK PAL) but it seems to report this
for playable videos as well, so I'm not sure what this really means.

http://pastebin.com/rKBegn3T