[mythtv-users] Can't Connect to MythTV-backend

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun May 20 18:56:19 UTC 2012

On 05/20/2012 06:24 PM, Jordan Hewitt wrote:
> The odd thing is that when I type "sudo service mythtv-backend," the
> backend starts, and then stops automatically afer a few seconds. Other
> forum people have posted their mythbackend.log files. I posted mine:
> http://pastebin.com/kbTz0a43

What strikes me looking at your logfile is that your backend thinks it's
running on a machine whose name is "hostname".

Could it be that your init scripts are starting the backend before the
hostname has been set (i.e. way too early in the boot process)?

Or alternatively: has something gone wrong with your /etc/hostname file?

My understanding is that the hostname acts as a key into the database to
determine which settings to apply. So your hostname needs to match the
one used when mythtv was set up.

HTH, Jan