[mythtv-users] Ubuntu/Mythbuntu update problem

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun May 20 18:55:56 UTC 2012

On 20/05/2012 19:15, Damian wrote:
> On 18/05/2012 01:55, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 05/17/2012 05:16 PM, Damian wrote:
>>> Here's the response to that command:
>>>
>>> $ dpkg -l libva-x11-1
>>> dpkg-query: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line
>>> 77904 package 'virtualbox-3.0':
>>> error in Version string '3.0.14-58977_Ubuntu_karmic': invalid
>>> character in revision number
>>> ii libva-x11-1 1.0.15-4 Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux -- X11
>>> strings `locate -b '\mythbackend'` | grep '0.2[3-5]'
>>> v0.25-84-g9ccfac1
>>>
>>> Does that get us any closer?
>>
>> Sorry, no. The version of libva-x11-1 matches mine and the
>> backend at least has the v0.25-84... line.
>>
>> At the very least, your status files looks stomped on. That gets
>> back to you original post of a failed (partial) upgrade. I did
>> google and see this if you want to try:
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?s=4b6cd598b367c4c5bfdc1961f2e61c4e&p=10226999&postcount=2
>>

>> One more question:
>>
>> Are you running a virtual machine (virtualbox 3.0)?
>>
>> If you're in danger of losing your family, then since the root cause of
>> the problem isn't known yet (disk failure/upgrade failure/high tides)
>> then, yes I agree a fresh install is looking much quicker.
>>

> Hello again all,
>
> So, I bit the bullet today and installed Mythbuntu 12.04. I wiped my /
> and /home partitions and kept all of the recordings and video files
> where they live on another drive.
>
> I now have a clean Mythbuntu 12.04 install. It's all new to me because
> I have previously used Ubuntu and added Mythbuntu on top. However, as
> I don't like Unity and ended up installing Gnome anyway, I thought I'd
> give pure Mythbuntu a try.
>
> Before I wiped my last installation, I backed up the database as well
> as I could. I'm concerned that I have no idea of knowing what state
> this is in. I know it was all working in 0.24, but nothing has worked
> since I tried to go to 0.25. Will the database be in a 0.24 type
> format or a 0.25??
>
> Anyway, I did a full backup of mythconverge using phpmyadmin. I also
> did a second backup using:
>
> mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql
>

> Now the fun beggins. Can I shoe horn the old database into this new
> system?
>
> Problem1 .. The mysql root database password?
>
> What is it when in a clean 12.04 install?
>
> mysql -u root
> is returning:
> damian at mythbox:~$ mysql -u root
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: NO)
>
> and a simple 'enter' doesn't work if I try:
> mysql -u root -p
>
> I'm also concerned that there maybe some hardware issue still going
> on. Obviously replacing the power supply was a big problem, but I've
> just tried to install phpmyadmin via Ubuntu Software Centre and it
> seems to have hung. Is XFCE not good at multitasking or something?

> [...]

Grrrrr....
I've just had a:
"Sorry, Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error.
If you notice any further problems, try restarting the computer"
And then a load of information that I can't cut and paste for some
unhelpful reason.

I had a couple of this messages before the clean install, but assumed it
was due to what had happened with the upgrade.

This is driving me nuts! Had a whole day on this today and I've got nowhere.

Not got time for this!

I'd really appreciate help on the mysql root password issue

And if anyone can tell me a user-friendly tool (live cd or something?)
to help me find the vulnerability in my hardware, I'd appreciate that too.

As far away from the command line as possible would make me happy. M$
Windows is looking pretty darn good to me at the moment!

Cheers all
Damian