[mythtv-users] Can't Connect to MythTV-backend

Jordan Hewitt jordannh at fastmail.fm
Sun May 20 16:24:51 UTC 2012

I've been at this problem for days.  Perhaps someone here can help me.

My TV Tuner card is compatible with Linux.  When I set up the device in mythtv
settings, it recognizes the card.  On top of that, I can stream TV just fine
with tvtime (but I want mythtv!)

My card is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVAR 850 model 1230.
My operating system is Ubuntu 12.04.

When I start up MythTV frontend, I get an error saying: "Could not connect to
the master backend server.  Is it running? Is the IP address set for it in
mythtv-setup correct?"

I've checked my server settings several times.  I've tried both my loopback
and ethernet IP address to no avail (my machine will be a server and client).
I have the MySQL database setup correctly with a mythtvconverg database and I
reset the mythtv user password several times on both ends.

The odd thing is that when I type "sudo service mythtv-backend," the backend
starts, and then stops automatically afer a few seconds.  Other forum people
have posted their mythbackend.log files.  I posted mine:
http://pastebin.com/kbTz0a43

Any ideas?  Thanks.