[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun May 20 01:05:32 UTC 2012

On 05/19/2012 05:13 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/18/2012 11:11 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

>>> Still seems like overkill. Are you really concerned about using a couple
>>> megabytes of HDD space in a day (and even a couple megabytes/day is
>>> quite a lot for mythpreviewgen)?

>>> If you really do have a problem with it, you can use syslog logging, and
>>> just tell your syslog logger to throw away all mythpreviewgen log
>>> output. That said, I'm guessing there are other issues on your MythTV
>>> computers that deserve more attention than complete eradication of
>>> mythpreviewgen log files... ;)
>>
>> Well I will end up doing something. ATM the logging scheme seems to me
>> to be disfunctional. I'm going to have to read the wiki and play with
>> the settings. Try logrotate, or syslog or cron.
>> Myth now seems to spew logging files. I changed the loglevel to crit,
>> in an attempt to reduce the output, but now the files don't report
>> much of anything.
>> Uptime is 49 days, I have about a dozen backend logfiles all dated
>> April 29 and nothing after that. I have 4 frontend files dated April
>> 29 and one dated May 3 and nothing after that. loglevel at crit may be
>> too high.
>> I liked the old logfile scheme: one process one file.
>
> Actually, it was "one process and all its subprocess, one file full of
> mixed up log messages" that resulted in users saying, "The backend
> locked up with 'invalid protocol version' error," which is impossible (a
> backend can't have an invalid protocol version with itself). What was
> actually happening was some child process started by the backend was
> failing due to the backend's network/socket code failing to listen
> for/respond to clients. Now, users would correctly report,
> "mythpreviewgen runs fail due to 'invalid protocol version' and
> mythbackend doesn't respond to network requests," because they won't see
> mythpreviewgen logging in mythbackend.log, so they'll actually know
> where it's coming from/what's happening.

That aspect of it I understand and I agree with. I still have to learn
how to handle the spew of files which the new methodology produces. I
don't mind one file per process/subprocess. I just don't find the
present method particularly usable due to the fact that I have to open
and look at so many files to find anything. And what I presently see is
not too useful to me. That may be that I have the error level turned up
too high, so I don't see the 'normal' reporting I am used to.

And logrotate or syslog or cron will have to be instituted to deal with
it all.

G.