[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 18 17:40:24 UTC 2012

On 05/18/2012 01:35 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 05/18/2012 12:53 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>> The value is for debugging and diagnosis of issues.  Without the logs
>> you can not get any support at all.  Disk space is cheap. Just prune
>> them out every few days or so and they will stay under control just
>> fine.
>>
>> If you delete the files every minute, you are likely to mess things up.
>> I, for one, will not even attempt to support a system with that setup.
>>

> OK, so I will set the cron to delete them every hour or so..

Still seems like overkill. Are you really concerned about using a couple
megabytes of HDD space in a day (and even a couple megabytes/day is
quite a lot for mythpreviewgen)?

> And turn off the cron job if I need to debug anything.
> But I have never had a problem with preview generation.

If you really do have a problem with it, you can use syslog logging, and
just tell your syslog logger to throw away all mythpreviewgen log
output.  That said, I'm guessing there are other issues on your MythTV
computers that deserve more attention than complete eradication of
mythpreviewgen log files...  ;)

Mike