[mythtv-users] mythwelcome binds to same udp port as mythfrontend

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 18:57:33 UTC 2012

Ok, I'm resending this because either kmail or myself failed to send the
original...

On 17/05/2012 13:29, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> Port 6548 is the UDP port used by mythmessage. All applications that use
> the UI libraries will listen for messages on that port, which will
> trigger popups. When MythWelcome is used to start MythFrontend,
> MythWelcome has already taken that port, so the UDP listener in
> MythFrontend is unable to do so itself. When you changed the port and
> restarted MythFrontend, it now successfully listened on the alternate
> port, however when MythWelcome was restarted, it too listened on this
> alternate port, and you had the same problem you had as before.

Thanks for the info.

> If MythWelcome is going to stay along side the new idle behavior in
> MythFrontend, I'm going to have to add some mechanism to disable that
> when it launches MythFrontend.

I have two frontends (one is also a SB) that use mythwelcome. It's not a major
problem, and I came across it by trying to use mythmote, but if it "could"
cause mixup somewhere else, don't you think the two udp ports should be
distinct between programs?

If you intend to add that mechanism, do you want me to open a relevant ticket?

> Because you told it to. In mythtv-setup, you configured your servers on
> that hostname to only listen on 127.0.0.1. Change it to an externally
> accessible IP, or blank it to allow the control socket to decide on its
> own where to listen.

Actually, I don't remember running mythtv-setup on the test frontend, as it's
only a frontend. But you are correct, the address was 127.0.0.1.

I edited it directly in the database with phpMyAdmin - I know I'm supposed to
use mythtv-setup to do that, but I am under the impression that all backends
must be stopped before any mythtv-setup is run, even on irrelevant pcs, and
the kids are watching a film...

However, after rebooting the pc, mythfrontend cannot bind to 6546 port, with
error:
2012-05-17 20:41:36.260282 I [3093/3093] CoreContext serverpool.cpp:337
(listen) - Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6546
2012-05-17 20:41:36.260644 E [3093/3093] CoreContext serverpool.cpp:349
(listen) - Failed listening on TCP 192.168.13.70:6546 - Error 10: Operation on
socket is not supported

Best regards,

Yianni.