[mythtv-users] mythbackend won't start during bootup on fc16

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:32:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> May  8 18:21:12 mythtv mythbackend[1442]: Starting mythbackend: [  OK  ]
>>> May  8 18:21:14 mythtv mythbackend[1442]: No UPnP backends found
>>> May  8 18:21:14 mythtv mythbackend[1442]: Would you like to configure the
>>> database connection now? [no]
>>> May  8 18:21:14 mythtv mythbackend[1442]: [console is not interactive,
>>> using default 'no']
>>

>> Brushed 'send'by mistake too early!  The 'would you like to configure'
>> line means that mythbackend cannot talk to the mysqld server.
>> First check that it is running. As in the prior message, mysqld may not be
>> starting properly due to systemd misconfiguration.
>> Try 'systemctl status mysqld.service'

A "Requires=mysqld.service" could be added to the configuration but
this might confuse people who are using a mysql server from another
machine instead of the localhost.

> Earlier in the log I see mysqld starting up 4 secs earlier, so I am thinking
> this might be a race between mysqld starting up and mythbackend starting up.
>  This might explain why when the system is fully booted, I can launch the
> mythbackend manually.

This is then a bug in either mysqld or the mysqld service file.
SystemD should not be told something is "started" until the service if
fully operational.

Richard