[mythtv-users] mythwelcome binds to same udp port as mythfrontend

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 16:32:03 UTC 2012

Hi.

I don't know if I should report this as bug, or it's as intended.

I am try to find out why mythcontrol doesn't work for 2 frontends while it
works for other two. In the process I discovered that on a frontend that is
started by mythwelcome, it cannot bind the udp port (for mythutil?) to 6948
because it's already in use. I changed the port to 6949, exited  mythfrontend
and restarted it and it bound ok to the new port.

Upon reboot, it complained that the (new) port is already in use, and
netstat -lp | grep myth shows:

tcp      0      0 localhost:6546        *:*         LISTEN   3093/mythfrontend
tcp      0      0 localhost:apc-6547   *:*       LISTEN   3093/mythfrontend
udp     0      0 localhost:6949          *:*                  2998/mythwelcome
udp        0      0 255.255.255.255:ssdp    *:*           3093/mythfrontend
udp        0      0 239.255.255.250:ssdp    *:*             3093/mythfrontend
udp        0      0 *:apc-6549              *:*            3093/mythfrontend

By the way, why does it bind to "localhost" and not to the external ip?
Is this why the networkcontrol doesn't work (I'm trying to use mythmote and it
fails to connect).

Best Regards,

Yianni