[mythtv-users] mythshutdown -l in 0.25

Tom Flair lists at graniteskies.net
Thu May 17 11:34:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:02 AM, John Veness <
John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the upgrade to 0.25, "mythshutdown -l", to prevent the machine from
> shutting down, no longer works. You have to type the full "mythshutdown
> --lock" instead. "mythshutdown -u" still works as an alias for
> "mythshutdown --unlock".
>
> I have raised a ticket (http://code.mythtv.org/trac/**ticket/1I would be
> okay with that.  0722 <http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10722>) and
> started a small discussion on mythtv-dev (http://www.gossamer-threads.**
> com/lists/mythtv/dev/517539<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/517539>)
> about this, but it seems that this won't be fixed by the developers.
>
> I was wondering what other users thought of this change, and if anyone
> else, like me, thinks this is a negative change. Probably best to discuss
> it here on the users list rather than on the dev list, and it certainly
> should *not* be discussed on the trac ticket.
>
> The dev's argument for the change is to have consistency between all myth
> commands. For other myth commands "-l" is an alias for "--logfile", which
> is now deprecated, so "-l" brings up a warning instead of performing the
> action.
>
> My argument is that, for mythshutdown specifically, it never used -l for
> --logfile, it was always for --lock. Muscle memory, user-written scripts,
> and web pages which refer to "mythshutdown -l", would need to be changed,
> for (what I think is) no good reason.
>
> What do other users think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
>
> --
> John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T

Consistency wins, in my book.  If the preferred method for passing
arguments is to use the long-form (--lock vs -l), and this is being done
across the board, I'm for it.

User scripts and web pages can be easily updated.  Muscle memory, that
won't win me over.  After a few times of typing it out, you'll forget about
it.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/87eb63.