[mythtv-users] Ubuntu/Mythbuntu update problem (new thread)

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu May 17 02:21:38 UTC 2012

On 17/05/2012 7:35 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 5/16/2012 16:59, Aaron wrote:
>> First one is that the 64-bit database upgrade left me two schema
>> revisions behind.
>
> MythTV 0.25 was released on April 10th to schema revision 1299, and
> the developmental branch was updated to revision 1301 on April 13th.
> That's two schema revisions. Any chance what you were seeing was
> accidentally installing the developmental branch rather than 0.25-fixes?
Could be related to the version of Ubuntu/Mythbuntu 12.04 Media you are
installing.   If you start mythbuntu-control-centre and Activate MythTV
Updates repository (under Repositories), and then perform an update,
this will give you the latest Mythbuntu packages.

>> I tried reinstalling 64-bit a number of times with the same results,
>> and same error 139 CTD issues every time. Could it be my hardware?
>> Sure... two completely different 64-bit systems.
>
> Exit code 139 means... invalid time zones.  You configured different
> time zones for your frontend and backend, causing the frontend to
> immediately terminate with that error.  The logs of either the
> frontend or backend would confirm.
Mythbuntu runs a wrapper around mythtv-frontend and mythtv-backend.  I
get Exit Code 139 only when I exit from the frontend (cleanly), which
triggers the wrapper to restart the frontend, would be annoying if the
machine was used for anything else other than dedicated frontend.
(Timezone is configured exactly the same as the MBE)

> http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/exitcodes.h#n22
>

> In past versions, error 139 would be an aliased segmentation fault, or
> signal 11 (+128), however I do not believe 0.24 or 0.25 behave in that
> manner.
>
>> My first post was the abridge version. OP doesn't have to listen to me,
>> I was just offering troubleshooting advice and clearly stated it might
>> or might not work for him.
>
> The troubling issue is that the AMD64 architecture was released over
> nine years ago.  AMD and Intel both stopped shipping desktop hardware
> not capable of 64-bit operation by 2006.  AMD64 has been the primary
> architecture for use on Linux for years, and yet with over 2/3 of the
> entries on Smolt running Ubuntu 12.04, over half the users are still
> running 32-bit, and there are still blind recommendations to others to
> run 32-bit.
>
> Running 32-bit Linux should be a last resort for either a known
> problem with a particular piece of hardware, or when all other
> attempts at resolving an error has been exhausted.

But running the 32Bit Version, should (and usually does) work, and I
doubt that this is the actual problem.