[mythtv-users] HLS Without Transcoding?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed May 16 23:23:32 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-16, at 11:29 AM, Jack wrote:

> That's fine, most (if not all) of my media is h264.
> Why isn't there a 'leave it alone and let the client deal with it' option?

The HLS code is very new and pretty embryonic. The author (Chris Pinkham) has mentioned how he debated including it in .25 at all in case people should pop up asking how come it doesn't include feature X, Y, or Z. The answer is the HLS code is incomplete and there are plenty of more important features to be implemented first.

That said I think what you're asking for is a great idea. It doesn't seem too difficult to scan through an h.264 video and create offsets which could be used to synthesize HLS segments on the fly. It's all I/O and no compute so it would run super fast. On the other hand the audience for such a feature is probably pretty small so as usual in open source we await your patch ;)

- George