[mythtv-users] Ubuntu/Mythbuntu update problem (new thread)

Aaron aaron at rb303.net
Wed May 16 20:59:49 UTC 2012

> While I am all for helping out others, this is an Apples to Oranges
> comparison. You are comparing an upgrade to a fresh install, which are
> very different things and can each cause their own issues. I have
> always recommended doing a backup/fresh install/restore over a
> distribution upgrade.
>
> In your response, you are implying that the issue you had was a direct
> result of 64-bit being buggy. This is simply not the case, there are
> many users who have run the 64-bit version for years without issue.
> You went straight for the 32-bit install when you were having issues
> with an upgraded system without even trying a freshly installed 64-bit
> system. That seems like bad logic/troubleshooting.
>
> My money is on a broken upgrade, not the 64-bit OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos

Thanks for the assumptions... After backing up my database I fresh
installed Mythbuntu 64-bit, and ran into issues. First one is that the
64-bit database upgrade left me two schema revisions behind. I tried
reinstalling 64-bit a number of times with the same results, and same error
139 CTD issues every time. Could it be my hardware? Sure... two completely
different 64-bit systems. I would love to be running 64-bit Mythbuntu, but
for some reason it just doesn't like me.

My first post was the abridge version. OP doesn't have to listen to me, I
was just offering troubleshooting advice and clearly stated it might or
might not work for him.