[mythtv-users] blu ray rip playback

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed May 16 06:30:38 UTC 2012

I have some blu rays that I own which I want to rip to my network.

Currently I'm using makemvk to rip all audio/subs/etc to an mkv.  This
works well, with two exceptions:
1. if I want to keep the directors cut and the normal cut it takes
twice the space
2. extras are gone (as are menus, but.... meh?)

If I simply keep doing what I'm doing it doesn't actually annoy me.

However, I remember that mythtv used to support playing a DVD file rip
from a VIDEO_TS folder (with all the files that were on the DVD
already decrypted), and wondered if it would do the same for blu rays.
 I used makemkv to do a disk folder rip/decription, and was left with
the blu ray structure.

Mythvideo didn't recognize it, and instead simply showed me the 50-100
individual little piece files.

-does mythtv support blu rays played from a directory structure rip?
-if so, how do you get it to work?
-do menus work if you do this?
-should I bother, or is my current lossless MKV method preferrable?

Thanks :)