[mythtv-users] Recording Permissions Problem

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed May 16 03:57:08 UTC 2012

> I'm running Mythbuntu 12.04 x64, with all storage directories pointing to
> directories on a NAS (Thecus N4100PRo).
> I'm mounting the NAS locally using NFS, with this:
> mount -o soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
> gromit:/raid0/data/_NAS_NFS_Exports_/mythtv /mnt/nfs
>
> It mounts correctly, but I am unable to play recordings because of a
> permission problem; the recording and png files appear as:
> -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 mythtv mythtv 1267934040 May 15 19:44
> 1476_20120515193000.mpg*
> On the NAS, the directory is exported using:
> "Guest system root account will have full access to this share
> (root:root)."
>
> When I try and play these, I get a message to the effect of:
> "Recording unavailable: <title><subtitle> The file for this recording can
> not be found"
>
> I am also unable to play these in VLC.
>
> If I do a
> sudo chown mythtv:users *
> ...then this fixes it.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

How did these files get on the NAS?  It appears that you uploaded them with
the root user.  You will probably need to chown everything to start with.
New recordings by the backend should already have the right permissions...
don't they?

If only the root user can upload to the nas at all you probably need to
create a 'mythtv' user and 'mythtv' and/or 'users' group on the NAS with
the same UID and GID as appear on your mythbackend then assign those
users/groups access to the folder on the NAS.

I looked up the manual for your NAS and couldn't find a way to adjust the
NFS export settings... however if you find a way, there is a real easy way
to ensure that files all get the right permissions, regardless of the user
that creates them.  The combination of the "all_squash", "anonuid", and
"anongid" says to force all connections to use the anonymous uid and gid,
then specifies what that uid and gid should be.  Essentially, they create a
"share" that sets the same uid/gid on all files saved via nfs.

for example:
/exports/mythtv
192.168.1.0/24(rw,insecure,sync,wdelay,no_subtree_check,nohide,*
all_squash,anonuid=888,anongid=888*)