[mythtv-users] My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue May 15 23:15:46 UTC 2012

>  I am not suggesting that you assign an IP to the HDHR at all...
> statically or using DHCP.  If the HDHR doesn't get a DHCP response, it will
> pick a random IP in the 169.254.x.x range (read up on Link Local addresses
> here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address)  This is true of
> most network devices today to conform with zero configuration networking (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking).
>
> The advantages of doing this are several:
> 1. *no* configuration of the HDHR... *at all*... just plug it in
> 2. you may not need to do any configuration on the server either...
> depends upon your distro.
> 2. no requirement that the server be on before the HDHR... it doesn't
> care, it's not using DHCP.
> 3. no need to worry about your server being connected to your LAN
> accidentally and issuing IP's to the rest of the network (done that before
> when I confused cables in rats nest on and a test lab dhcp server started
> issuing addresses to a~1000 node production LAN... not pretty)
>
> The only disadvantage, as Eric stated, is it will take a minute or so
> longer after powering on the HDHR before it is addressable, however I never
> turn mine off... so that's what,a minute every few months?
>

>  That is what I meant by Static IP, sorry... I set up an ethernet card as
> 169.254.1.2 and while the HDHR worked, after three days, it would stop
> working and I would have to power cycle the HDHR...  I have the single
> tuner version and the latest firmware.  I don't know if I just have an
> oddball HDHR or what, but I even tried touching the HDHR every few days to
> exclude that from possibility.  When I use DHCP, no issue.

Sorry for misunderstanding you.  That is really unusual... you have me
stumped.  Did you use the correct subnet mask on the server? It should be
255.255.0.0... other than that, there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong.
I can't imagine that the networking part of the HDHR is all that different
between my classic (white) 2 tuner and your 1 tuner model... but perhaps
I'm wrong.