[mythtv-users] My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue May 15 22:39:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012, at 06:25 PM, Joseph Fry wrote

  I am not suggesting that you assign an IP to the HDHR at
  all... statically or using DHCP.  If the HDHR doesn't get a
  DHCP response, it will pick a random IP in the 169.254.x.x
  range (read up on Link Local addresses here:
  [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address)  This is
  true of most network devices today to conform with zero
  configuration networking
  ([2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking
  ).
  The advantages of doing this are several:
  1. no configuration of the HDHR... at all... just plug it in
  2. you may not need to do any configuration on the server
  either... depends upon your distro.
  2. no requirement that the server be on before the HDHR... it
  doesn't care, it's not using DHCP.
  3. no need to worry about your server being connected to your
  LAN accidentally and issuing IP's to the rest of the network
  (done that before when I confused cables in rats nest on and a
  test lab dhcp server started issuing addresses to a~1000 node
  production LAN... not pretty)
  The only disadvantage, as Eric stated, is it will take a
  minute or so longer after powering on the HDHR before it is
  addressable, however I never turn mine off... so that's what,a
  minute every few months?

That is what I meant by Static IP, sorry... I set up an ethernet
card as 169.254.1.2 and while the HDHR worked, after three days,
it would stop working and I would have to power cycle the
HDHR...  I have the single tuner version and the latest
firmware.  I don't know if I just have an oddball HDHR or what,
but I even tried touching the HDHR every few days to exclude that
from possibility.  When I use DHCP, no issue.
--
Kris B.
[3]krisbee at krisbee.com